Research Focus on Building Materials and Material testing
Concretes, Coatings and measuring Methods
- Electro-optical measurement methods for determining roughness parameters for the shear bond in composite joints between new and old concrete, adhesion and material requirements for coatings and coverings as well as for the grip of roadways and the slip resistance of floors,
Excerpt (German) from the research report of the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences 2008-2009
- Schulz, Rolf-Rainer (2017): „Laser schlägt Sand - Rautiefenmessung an Betonoberflächen". In: Bauen im Bestand, 04/2017, S. 44-48
- Schulz, Rolf-Rainer (2016): „Fortschritte bei der Rauheitsbewertung von Betonoberflächen". In: beton, 12/2016, 502-510
- Schulz, Rolf-Rainer (2016): „Wie lassen sich die Rauheitsanforderungen gemäß Heft 600 DAfStb am Bauwerk nachweisen?". Beitrag zum 2. Brückenkolloquium 06/2016, TAE Esslingen
- Schulz, Rolf-Rainer (2014): „Hat das Sandflächenverfahren bald ausgedient?". Vortrag beim 6. Kolloquium Parkbauten 01/2014, TAE Esslingen
- Schulz, Rolf Rainer; et al. (2013): „Baustellengerechte Laser-Profil messverfahren für die Steuerung und Eigenüberwachung der Oberflächentexturierungvon Verkehrsflächen aus Beton". In: Straße und Autobahn, 12/2013.
- Schulz, Rolf-Rainer (2008): "Rauheit und Rutschhemmung von Betonoberflächen - Elektrooptische Messsystemezur Ermittlung von Rauheitsparametern". In: BFT, 09/2008
New building Materials and manufacturing Processes
- "Growing" mineral components: Verification of the transferability of the technology for the production of artificial coral reefs by electrolysis to structural applications
Verification of the transferability of the technology for the production of artificial coral reefs by means of electrolysis to structural applications under technical and economic aspects
Clarification of essential parameters influencing the deposition rate
possible fields of application in the building industry
Innovation and practical relevance
Production of very filigree elements with irregular geometry
Duration until mid-2009
Approved appropriations 2.900.- €
Textile lightweight Construction and gradient Materials
- Lightweight construction with 3D textiles, textile technologies as a basis for new gradient materials and sustainable constructions, development of composite materials, etc. in combination with spacer textiles and foam technologies.
Access the website of Prof. Lüling (German only)
- ma.d.e deals with new developments in material technology design
- Focus on possible applications in the architectural field
- Establishment of a continuously expanded material database
Partners of ma.d.e include companies whose products are in development or have been on the market for a short time and whose design potential, applications and image are to be further developed in cooperation with the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences.
In 2005 the symposium MehrWerkstoffe for designers, architects and engineers took place. Representatives from companies and research institutions presented materials from the construction industry that have "added value" because they either require little manufacturing energy, contribute to energy savings or produce energy themselves and also have design potential.
Accordingly, the symposium was divided into three thematic areas:
- sustainable materials
- recycling materials
- functional materials
In this context, a work on designing with photovoltaic elements is currently being developed, based on the book "architektur unter strom" published by Prof. Lüling.
The new edition "energizing architecture - design and photovoltaics" was published in summer 2009.
- Prizes and exhibitions:
Prizes for student research projects including "Stuttgart Lightweight Award 2014" and special prize for microarchitecture at "Textile Structures for New Building 2015", exhibition „FabricFoam©“ in Detail ResearchLab at Bau 201 and MaterialPREIS 17
- Research project "3dTEX - wall elements made of spacer textiles", for further information see also the research focus „Renewable energies in architecture“
- Chemical-physical transport and damage mechanisms in mineral building materials: Measurement, modelling and prognosis
- Building physics aspects in the construction of high-quality basements: heat and moisture protection
Manufacturing Methods for Road construction
- Testing of a new method for the backfilling of district heating pipe trenches under road pavements
- Monitoring and certification of asphalt mixing plants, testing of a conformity procedure for CE marking
Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering
- Analysis and modelling of the load-bearing behaviour of full displacement piles by digitizing the work processes in the laboratory; systematization of the quality control of the load-bearing behaviour in field tests
- ank infiltration - interaction between extreme flooding and groundwater level in the greater Frankfurt area and in the model area of the Kurozweki castle complex (Poland), further development of a comprehensive calibrated groundwater model, analysis of existing protective measures, development of a catalogue of measures
Further Development of load-bearing Structures and Facades
- Design and further development of load-bearing structures and facades with parametric and generative design strategies taking into account structural and building physics requirements