What is Citavi?
Citavi is a Windows-based reference management software. It supports students and faculty in all stages of their research and assists in the process of writing a scientific article, book, or term paper.
The full-featured version of Citavi is available by funding of the library for all members of the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences.
Citavi can be used in English. With two clicks, you can switch from German to English.
- Citavi Free is a basic version for free. Citavi Free has the complete functionality of Citavi for Windows with one limitation: each local project is limited to 100 references. Citavi Free has no other functional limitations and no expiration date.
- Citavi for Windows is required with larger projects (more than 100 references) or when working in a group. As full version Citavi for Windows has unlimited storage capacity and is subject to license.
In order to install Citavi you need to have administrator rights. Therefore installation on university computers should be made by your system administrator.
Therefore installation on university computers should be made by your system administrator.
In order to install Citavi on your private computer please proceed as follows:
First download and install Citavi Free:
For further information how to use Citavi check the user’s manual.
Your Citavi account
You can create an account when opening Citavi. Your university email is needed for authentication purposes, e.g. email@example.com.
Citavi Free is then converted into Citavi for Windows for the duration of our university license.
Please note: For authentication purposes your university email is needed, e.g. johndoe(at)stud.fra-uas.. Setting up an account with a freemail address is not possible. Students can retrieve their mails via dehttps://webmail.frankfurt-university.de/. The first part in front of the @-symbol is your user name. Your password is the same as in your IT user login.
Using setting files you can adapt the search settings to our university. In order to use licensed material you need to be registered in the Frankfurt Universtity of Applied Sciences network.
Click here to download the Citavi setting files. Please import the csd-file as follows:
1. Pick “import or export settings” from the menu “tools”.
2. Select “import”.
3. Click “search” and pick “Citavi settings file”.
4. Click “next”.
5. Select the settings you would like to import, e.g. all.
6. Click “finish”.