Study perspectives for refugees
The 'Welcome Year of the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences' for refugees with the desire to study architecture, mechanical engineering+ and computer sciences will start its fourth round at the begin of the summer semester 2019.
Dates for the information event for the Welcome Year 2019/20
- on Tuesday, October 23, 2018, from 3 p.m. till 4 p.m. in room 108 (building 4)
- on Friday, November 09, 2018 from 3 p.m. till 4 p.m. in room 321 (BCN)
About the Welcome Year of the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences
Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences has promoted more than 300 student refugees since the begin of the program in 2016. As an application-oriented, close to practice and diverse institution of higher education, the Frankfurt UAS promotes refugees interested in studies with the focus on STEM (MINT).
The Welcome Year at the Frankfurt UAS is a preparatory measure for prospective students interested in the degree courses architecture, mechanical engineering and computer sciences.
Requirements for a participation in the program:
- Direct higher education entrance qualification (application via uni-assist) https://ww2.uni-assist.de/online/Frontend/Registrierung/index
- Interest in one of the stated degree courses
- Certificate 'Integration course' or German test B1 and passed placement test (with at least 60%)
- The degree courses at Faculty 2 require basic knowledge of the English language (B1 GER)
- Refugee ID or a similar document, that indicate an asylum demand in Germany.
Two-semester full-time program: Begin April 01, 2019 – March 31, 2020
- 20 semester periods per week German course B1+, B2 and German language test preparation (DSH) with the goal to meet DSH II- examination to meet the study requirements (Begin of studies 04/2020)
- 4 semester periods per week technical language course 'German' for architecture' or 'German for STEM subjects'
- Technical language courses in mechanical engineering+, computer sciences or architecture
- Participation in lectures and modules in the degree courses
- Numerous workshops and excursion related to the studies at the Frankfurt UAS
- Eight-week long practical internship in the industry (optional for the Welcome Year Architecture and Computer Science)
Our Welcome package:
- Personal consultation and support prior to and during the studies
- Beginner teaching program (winter academy 01/19, intensive German course 03/19, 04/19 course teaching the basics of the technical language)
- Support through mentors and tutors
Extended application deadline of December 01, 2018 via uni-assist.
- à Welcome Year Faculty 1 for Architecture or
- à Welcome Year Faculty 2 for Mechanical Engineering+ and Computer Science
Further steps for interested prospective students
1) Attendance of the information event
2) First consultation and check of credentials at the International Office – Coordinator of the Refugee Studies (free of charge)
3) Consultation within the Faculty
4) Timely submission of the application to uni-assist
5) Participation in the language placement test & application interview
- Begin of the Welcome Year
The project is funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Ministry for Science and Art of Hesse (Hessischen Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst (HMWK).
The project also received numerous donations from (former) members of the University of Applied Sciences. Thanks to the donations of the VDI Frankfurt-Darmstadt 340 books and CDS were financed.