You can only apply to enroll if you can proof sufficient knowledge of the German language with a certificate.
The enrollment can only take place if you have a German proficiency test (DSH-2) or an equivalent certificate (see below). If you do not possess either, you can apply by January 15, or July 15, with a C1-Certificate or equivalent (see below) for a degree course and we will invite you to the German proficiency examination (DSH examination).
Please note that you have to submit a certificate with your application. A letter of participation is not sufficient as proof of language skills.
German citizenship is not considered proof of your language skills.
Conditional admission letters
We do not issue conditional admission letters.
If you want to learn German in Germany, please look for a suitable language school and apply for a "study preparing visa".
The Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences offers German courses for the preparation for the German language proficiency (DSH) examination. Information on extent, structure and costs can be found on the page of STEPS Frankfurt*International.
Applicants who did not acquire their higher education entrance qualification at a German or German-speaking school must present knowledge of the German language at the level B1 with a certificate at time of application.
German applicants without language certificates must present an assessment test from the Goethe Institute. They can take a test, which confirms that their language skills are at the required level of the institution of higher education. Applicants who had German as a foreign language during school or studies, also require an assessment test.
ZD 'Certificate German as a foreign language' is the lowest language certificate and is only sufficient for the participation in the admission test for the preparatory college.
German language certificate for the access to an institution of higher education
Study applicants, who have not acquired their access to an institution of higher education at a German or German-speaking school, must already present knowledge of Level C1 upon application, in order to be invited to the German proficiency examination (DSH examination).
The following proof entitle you to take part in the DSH examination:
- DSH 1
- TestDaF as of 14 points (the grade 'below 3' may not exist)
- Goethe Certificate C-1, Central Mid-Level Examination (Zentrale Mittelstufenprüfung - ZMP)
- Certificate of participation in the DSH-course at the Frankfurt UAS or another higher education institute in Germany (with examination date)
German applicants without language certificates require a placement test (Level C1) at the Goethe Institute or at the TestDaF Institute. They can take the examination in order to confirm the equivalence with the language skills required at the institution of higher education.
Study applicants, who have completed German studies or who had German as a foreign language in school or during their studies must also take part in the placement test.
Please note: You must apply at an early point in time in order to be able to take part in the DSH examination (at the latest by July 15, or January 15).
Study applicants with a 'direct access to institutions of higher education' must prove upon enrollment the 'German language certificate for the access to institutions of higher education' with the result DSH-2 or DSH-3.
The following alternatives to the DSH-2 or DSH-3 certificates are possible:
- Goethe Certificate C2, (formerly called Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP) Goethe-Institut)
- DSD II - German language diploma of the Kultusministerkonferenz (2nd level)
- TestDaF 4*4 TDN (one TDN 3 can be compensated by one TDN 5)
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule (NOT telc C1)
- In the passed assessment test in German with at least grade 4
- Completed vocational training in Germany
- The foreign educational certificates listed in the resolution of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs in the Federal Republic of Germany (KMK) of 02.06.1995 in the currently valid version