Work Permit

The resident status of students and study applicants determines how much and under which circumstances they are allowed to work. Accordingly, there are different regulations for EU and non-EU citizens.

For non-EU citizens, job opportunities differ according to whether the residence permit was issued for a language course, or a preparatory course (Studienkolleg) higher education.

Students of an EU member state do not need a work permit. This also applies to citizens of the so-called EFTA states Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. They have the same status as German employees and are allowed to take up employment in Germany according to the "right of free movement".

However, in your own interest (and in the interest of your studies), as an EU citizen you should observe the social security limit for student employment: If you work more than 20 hours per week during the lecture period, you will be charged with higher social security contributions - just like a regular employee.

The preparatory course participants and the language course students are allowed to work under the same conditions as students.

Work permit for non-EU citizens

The legal work opportunities for language course students and the preparatory course participants are defined differently. Enrolled (bachelor/master/university) students are initially allowed to pursue "part-time student jobs" without restriction. This means jobs at the university, e.g. as a tutor, in the library, or at the Students’ Services (Studentenwerk).

For activities outside the university, there is a quota of 120 days a year allowance for working without a work permit Days worked for four or fewer are considered half days. Thus, you can replace the 120 full-day quotas with the 240 half-days. You can meet the quota in the first three months of your residence, but can also spread over the whole year. How you filled this quota should be clarified with our employer.

Employment beyond 120 days is only possible with the approval of the Foreigners' Registration Office. Thus, "study-promoting" activities are worth considering. These are jobs that are directly related to the course of study and whose scope does not keep you off the studies. For example, a job as a salesman or waiter is not possible for a business administration student, but a job in accounting is. The Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences should make a personal statement to the immigration authority that your work does not exceed 20 hours per week. There is also an exception of a "Fachbindung" (Subject restriction). This is only possible if the fund base is lost during your further education through no fault of the student (eg. loss of guarantor).

Whether a job beyond the 120-day limit is approved ultimately also depends on the pay in line with the collective agreement and the labor market situation. According to the foreign authorities’ statement, the employment agency will have a priority placement process for Germans or EU citizens who are also suitable for that job. If you want to apply for a job supporting or securing your studies, it is recommended to contact the International Office about the application process.

Students in preparatory courses and participants in languagecourses with the appropriate residence permit are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year, just like bachelor students, but initially only during holidays. Being able to work outside the holiday season is possible only after staying over a year. A previous stay for language courses or study reparations can be credited to the year.

Further job opportunities are also available for students in the area of "student jobs". Beyond that, students are not allowed to accept any other employment.

After Graduation

On the following page you will find information that is essential if you want to complete your studies and enter the job market.



Gürkan AsciInternational Student Advisor
Building 1, Room 4
Fax : +49 69 1533-2748

Consultation hours 

To make an appointment, send an email to beratung(at) Briefly describe your case and attach the required documents to the email. Then you will receive an individual appointment, either online or on-site at the office (Tuesdays or Thursdays).

Information days

Our student assistants also offer a general information session every Wednesday from 1 pm to 4 pm. (Without appointment) 




International OfficeID: 9763
last updated on: 05.03.2024