Reference management software helps you
- to save and organize your references from library catalogs and databases
- to cite and format references easily in your texts
- to compile and export a bibliography in your preferred citation style
Any questions? Please contact us: literaturverwaltung(at)bibl.fra-uas.de
What is the best software for you?
Advanced features, like reference management and knowledge organization, advanced pdf editor, team projects can be saved locally and in the cloud
|Citavi 6 for Windows (desktop version) Windows, More technical information, Windows Betriebssysteme|
Als Hochschulangehörige/r kostenlos nutzbar
|Local (single user) and web-based, team projects are possible||Windows, Mac, Linux||Desktop version: Free of charge, web version: first 300 MB of file storage free|
Reference management with Citavi
Citavi is a Windows-based reference management software. It supports students and faculty in all stages of their research and assists in the process of writing a scientific article, book, or term paper.
The full-featured version of Citavi is available by funding of the library for all members of the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences.
Citavi can be used in English. With two clicks, you can switch from German to English.
- Citavi Trial is a test version for free. The trial version is available for Citavi for Windows and for Citavi Web. You can try out Citavi for 30 days. After that you have to set up an account and switch to the full version.
- Citavi for Windows is the desktop version and optimized for Windows. The library has licensed Citavi Windows, therefore all university members can use Citavi for Windows for free. You can register for Citavi for Window via this link. If you use a Mac you can find installation instructions here.
- Citavi Web has been released in June 2021 and allows you to work from everywhere as long as you have internet access. It works with every operating system, like Mac OS, Windows or Linux. The library has not yet subscribed to this version. You can find more information about Citavi Web here.
In order to install Citavi you need to have administrator rights. Therefore installation on university computers should be made by your system administrator.
In order to install Citavi on your private computer please proceed as follows:
First download and install the current version of Citavi:
For further information how to use Citavi check the user’s manual.
Your Citavi account
You can create an account when opening Citavi. Your university email is needed for authentication purposes, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Citavi test version is then converted into Citavi for Windows for the duration of our university license.
Please note: For authentication purposes your university email is needed, e.g. johndoe(at)stud.fra-uas.. Setting up an account with a freemail address is not possible. Students can retrieve their mails via dehttps://webmail.frankfurt-university.de/. The first part in front of the @-symbol is your user name. Your password is the same as in your IT user login.
Using setting files you can adapt the search settings to our university. In order to use licensed material you need to be registered in the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences network.
Click here to download the Citavi setting files. Please import the csd-file as follows:
- Pick “import or export settings” from the menu “tools”.
- Select “import”.
- Click “search” and pick “Citavi settings file”.
- Click “next”.
- Select the settings you would like to import, e.g. all.
- Click “finish”.
The campus license agreement for Citavi includes 5 GB of personal cloud storage space. In case you need more cloud storage space you have to pay for it.
If you received an email that your storage space was used up or close to being used up check the following information first.
Unfortuately there is no Mac version for the reference management software Citavi. The only workaround is using third-party software which let you run a real copy of Windows on your Mac.
For more information check the Citavi Manual.
Reference management with Zotero
Zotero is a free and easy-to-use reference management software that helps you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources. It works with all operating systems (Windows, Mac OS, Linux).
- a desktop version, that you can download and install on your Windows, Mac or Linux computer. To insert references into a Microsoft Word document, you must use the desktop version.
- a web-based version, you can use with any device, as long as you have internet access. Zotero Library is available to you once you register.
Installing Zotero on your personal computer or laptop requires administrative access.
Got to https://www.zotero.org/ to download Zotero for your operating system (Mac or Windows or Linux). Run the setup program to install Zotero on your computer or laptop. Check the quick start guide for more information on installing and using Zotero https://www.zotero.org/support/de/quick_start_guide
Creating an account
Click https://www.zotero.org/user/register to create a free online Zotero account. This allows you syncing your data online and working with the web-based and desktop version of Zotero.
Workshops & counseling
If you are interested in introductory courses or counseling on Citavi or Zotero in English please contact us via literaturverwaltung(at)bibl.fra-uas.. de