Frankfurt UAS students and staff can access the library's databases, e-books and e-journals from anywhere in the world. With the exception of the German law database Beck-online off-campus access is possible via VPN, using the software FortiClient.
In addition, some databases offer remote access via Shibboleth. In this case there is no need to install any software on your computer.
VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, allows members of the University to connect to the network off‐campus with their CIT account and use University services as if they were on campus. Via VPN you can access the library’s online resources like e‐books, e‐journals, and databases (with the exception of Beck-online for which another authentication method is needed).
To use VPN, you need to install the software FortiClient on your device compatible with your operating system.
Setup instructions for iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS and Linux: Installationsanleitungen (in German only).
In case of technical problems, please contact the IT department:
Phone: 069 / 1533 – 4444
Some databases can be accessed outside the campus network by using authentification via Shibboleth. Instead of installing software on your computer, you can log in with your own CIT account to access the content.
List of databases with authentification via Shibboleth:
Cambridge Journals Digital Archive
Content-Select (Verlage Beltz Juventa, Lambertus u.a.)
Datev LEXinform Steuern, Recht, Wirtschaft
De Gruyter (auch Verlage Oldenbourg, Birkhäuser u.a.)
Steps and log-in
- Select the database you want to use from the list above. The link will lead you to a website in DBIS with more information about the selected database.
- Below the section titled Zugang von außerhalb (nur für Hochschulangehörige) = remote access (for members of the Frankfurt UAS only) you can choose between remote access via VPN or via Shibboleth.
- Select Shibboleth.
- On the next screen, enter your CIT account (the log-in of the university given to you by the Campus IT).
- Next, accept the terms and conditions for using Shibboleth. At first registration with a provider a notice on the data to be transferred is displayed which has to be accepted too.
- After successful log-in, you will be able to use the database off-campus.
If you are using a public computer, please make sure to logout and delete all cookies after your session, so your log-in data won't be saved for others to use.