On these pages you will find information on frequently asked questions from students that reach us at the Info-Center. If you need further orientation, contact the Info-Center directly.

You can find all important information, to-dos and FAQ concerning your start at the Frankfurt UAS on these pages for the first-semester students. Here you will find, for example, the schedule of introductory events for your degree program, various welcome videos, a virtual campus tour, links to relevant platforms so you can network, and much more. Please check these pages regularly as updates are frequent.

There is also faculty-specific information for new students:

Faculty 1 (Architecture, Civil Engeneering, & Geomatics)

Faculty 2 (Computer Science & Engineering)

Faculty 3 (Business & Recht)

Faculty 4 - German only (Health & Social Work)

If you want to know which faculty your degree program is in, click on the list of all degree programs (German only).

New students can also find advice and support at AStA- the General Student Committee at Frankfurt UAS

STEPS Frankfurt supports you step by step through your studies - from the first orientation to the transition to your career. You can find more information, contact persons and many useful links to support services on the STEPS page (German only).

Further advice and support services for international students can be found on the pages of the International Office.

Information on how to get to your timetable can be found on the respective pages of your faculty and degree program:

Timetables for Faculty 1- German only (Faculty 1: Architecture, Civil Engineering, & Geomatics) 

Timetables for Faculty 2 - among the FAQs (Faculty 2: Computer Science & Engeneering) 

Timetables for Faculty 3 - German only (Faculty 3: Business & Law)

Timetables for Faculty 4 - German only (Faculty 4: Health & Social Work)

If you still have questions about your timetable, contact the secretariat of your faculty. You can find the contact details on the web pages of your faculty.

If you have any concerns regarding the organization of your studies (registration, re-registration, exmatriculation, Study-Chip, HIS password...), please contact the Student Services Center. The Student Services Center can only be reached by e-mail or in person during opening hours. The current opening hours, the e-mail address as well as applications and forms can be found on the website of the Student Services Center. For general questions about the organization of studies, you can also call the hotline of the Info-Center.

You can find an overview of all required online services and information about registration on the Campus IT website (German only) or the Campus IT confluence page (German only).

If you have problems with your CIT account or with your student e-mail, which are prerequisites for using various online services, the Service Desk of Campus IT(German only) is your contact. If you have forgotten your password for the HIS-Portal (German only), the student self-administration, then write an e-mail to the studienbuero(at) including your matriculation number. If you have technical problems with the HIS-Portal, please use the service address qis(at) In case of technical problems with the learning platform campUAS (German only), please contact the Service Desk of the Campus IT(German only). 

Information about the Study-Chip, the electronic student ID card, can be found on the Study-Chip form, which you will receive at enrollment. 

Your personalized Study-Chip is...

  • your student ID card 
  • your authorization card for the RMV semester ticket
  • your library card
  • your money card for payment transactions in the canteen, the printer pool and the library.

If you need a new study chip (loss, defect or change of name), go to the website of the Student Services Center. There you will find the appropriate applications.

You can download a detailed map with the area of validity of your RMV semester ticket from the AStA website under the heading Semester Ticket Office. There you will find further helpful information about the semester ticket.

All dates for the current semester, as well as for following and past semesters, can be found on the page for semester dates.

You must re-register in the stated period of time and pay the semester fees in order to continue your studies (in the same degree course). Information on the re-registration deadlines and the amount of the semester fee, which can change from semester to semester, as well as information on the re-registration of graduates can be found on the website re-registration.

You can download the following applications on the page of the Student Services Center:

  • New Study-Chip (loss, defect, name change)
  • Recognition of previous exams
  • Leave of absence
  • Reimbursement
  • Part-time study
  • Competences acquired outside of higher education (the application with the title AAEK is only available on the German website)
  • Withdrawal from enrollment (exmatriculation)
  • Power of attorney (for the collection of documents)

You can print out the following certificates yourself via your HIS-Portal (German only):

  • Transcript of records (German and English)
  • Study certificate
  • Certificate according to §9 BaföG-Gesetz (corresponds to the simple study certificate)

For the following certificates please write an e-mail to the Student Services Center with the subject "certificate":

  • Certificate of exmatriculation
  • Certificate of good standing
  • For the tax office (paid semester fees)
  • For the employer (lecture-free periods)
  • For the the immigration authorities
  • For the pension insurance

If you have problems to finance your studies, you can find different kinds of help on the following pages:

Job offers for student assistants at Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences can be found on the page other job ads of the faculties and departments (German only).

The Family Office (German only) is available to answer questions about the compatibility of studies, work and family and has a wide range of offers to help. The General Student Committee AStA and the Women and Equality Office (German only) also offer advice.

The Student Advisory Center offers a variety of support services to help you cope with psychological stress during your studies (e.g. exam nerves, conflicts in your partnership/family, sleep disorders, loneliness, intercultural issues...).

If, during the course of your studies, you have doubts about whether you have chosen the right discipline or if you have other problems that are affecting your studies, the Student Advisory Center is there to help you with information, coaching and psychosocial counseling.

The Student Advisory Center provides support via information, coaching, counseling and other services when it comes to applying for a job or making an upcoming career decision.

For international students, the International Office offers the International Career Service program. Here, too, there are many support services with the aim of helping international students plan and develop their careers in Germany.


  • Starting your studies: Event dates to prepare for your studies (German only)
  • Support for students: Workshop dates and counseling hours German only)
  • Math Workshop: Offers for math and physics (German only)
  • Language center: Language courses, self-study offerings, writing workshop, exams/certificates and more
  • Learning center: group study rooms, silent study rooms, lending of work materials and support services (German only)
  • Writing lab: Coaching, workshops, tutorials and information material about writing and texting (German only)
  • ReActing: Offers in the field of scientific work (German only)
  • STEPS Info-Letter: Get the counseling and support services at a glance every 2 months (German only)
Website editorial teamID: 9012
last updated on: 03.13.2023