Living diversity. Leading with innovation.
Promoting equality, conveying diversity as a strength, and supporting the change of company culture
The Institute for Mixed Leadership (IML) bundles the already broad range of research of the Frankfurt UAS on the topics of innovative leadership, change of management culture, and diversity as a success factor for businesses, and develops them further based on the needs of the professional world. The goal is to use practical research to help increase the share of women in management positions in companies, enhance their acceptance, develop men’s acceptance of diverse management teams, and recognize the benefits of mixed gender and diverse management teams.
Director of the Institute is the attorney Prof. Dr. Andrea Ruppert. Other members of the directorate are Prof. Dr. Regine Graml, Prof. Dr. Yvonne Ziegler, and Prof. Dr. Martina Voigt. All four academics have been researchers and teachers for many years at the faculty of Business and Law of the Frankfurt UAS on gender issues in the context of management and leadership; their work includes the use of power, role stereotypes, career-oriented networks, diversity in management, compatibility of career and family, reflection of role models, and gender skills.
In addition to research, the IML will set the focus on equality, equal opportunity, and awareness in the area of mixed leadership in its events and consulting programs. The goal is also to expose and deconstruct the structural barriers and existing stereotypical attributions that affect both men and women.
The Institute for Mixed Leadership will operate an executive academy called the Academy of Mixed Leadership to shape the change of management culture through continuing education modules for executives and businesses and to raise awareness for the increasingly economic need for diversity. Men and women in particular should be empowered and strengthened to accept and perform management responsibilities. For more information, see the Academy of Mixed Leadership (German only).
The idea arose due to the participation of the City of Frankfurt am Main in the European Equality Charter. With great commitment, the parties involved in the process developed an action plan for equality and gave birth to the idea of founding an Academy of Mixed Leadership to increase the share of women in management positions. The Frankfurt UAS is now implementing this idea with the support of the City of Frankfurt am Main.
Deputy Managing Director
Deputy Managing Director
Member of the Directorate
Research projects, publications, and lectures at the Frankfurt UAS
Salary and advancement negotiations
- Gender aspects in contract negotiations (Ruppert, A. / Voigt, M.)
- Gender-specific negotiation skills and their effect on salary and advancement negotiations – Initial study and follow-up study (Ruppert, A. / Voigt, M.)
- Negotiation strategies of male and female executives during salary and advancement negotiations (Ruppert, A. / Voigt, M.)
The recruiting process:
- Candidate experience – gender-specific experiences and their processing in the application process (study of recruiting practices of German businesses from the perspective of applicants. (Ruppert, A. / Voigt, M. / Ferber, I.)
- The influence of gender and ethnicity in applicant selection" (Rieck, C. / Weissenrieder, C. et al.)
- Analysis of Post-Employment Relations (Graml, R.)
- Acceptance of executives – analysis of perceived behaviors of women and men in management positions (Weissenrieder, C. / Graml R. / Ziegler, Y.)
- Career perspectives of working mothers - 1st Frankfurt Career Study (Ziegler, Y. / Graml, R. / Weissenrieder, C.)
- Gender Diversity Culture Check - Study of influencing factors of the organizational culture on the number and acceptance of women in leadership positions in the aviation industry in Germany (Ziegler, Y. / Graml, R. / Weissenrieder, C.)
- Is the glass ceiling still there? Explorative study of business-internal standards, values, and processes on the career chances of women (Weissenrieder, C. / Graml, R. / Hagen, T. / Ziegler, Y.)
- Exploratory study of company culture on the career chances of women (Weissenrieder, C. / Graml, R. / Hagen, T. / Ziegler, Y.)
- Career possibilities for women in businesses in Japan and Japanese career women (Ziegler, Y.)
- Media depiction of women in business and science (Lämmlein, B. / Weissenrieder, C.)
- Gender diversity in management teams – A success factor for businesses? (Voigt, M.)
- Study of alternative career models (Weissenrieder, C. / Graml, R.)
- What effect does cultural education have on personality development, participation, and good leadership? (Lämmlein, B.)
- Diversity in the Board of Supervisors – Study on the composition of German Boards of Supervisors (Rieck, C. / Bendig, H. et al.)
- Negotiation in the time of mixed leadership (Ruppert, A.)
- Diversity management in public administration: Effects of institutional context conditions on the experiences of discrimination of LGBTIQ* individuals (Küchler-Stahn, N. et al.)
- The L-Word in Business - Lesbian women at work (Graml, R. / Hagen, T., Ziegler, Y.)
- Preliminary study: Lesbian women at work - The L-Word in Business (Graml, R. / Ziegler, Y ./ Weissenrieder, C.)
- Contribution in Deutschlandfunk dated July 29, 2019: https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/institut-fuer-mixed-leadership-forschung-und-weiterbildung.680.de.html?dram:article_id=455028
- Manager seminars from July 19, 2019: https://www.managerseminare.de/ms_News/Institut-fuer-Mixed-Leadership-gegruendet,272742
- IML Director Ms. Prof. Ruppert in the Hessenschau, July 16, 2019: https://www.hessenschau.de/tv-sendung/viele-frauen-in-offenbacher-chefetagen,video-97102~_story-studie-frauenanteil-100.html
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung on the foundation of the Institute for Mixed Leadership, June 30, 2019: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/hoch-schule/vielfalt-macht-erfolgreich-frankfurter-hochschule-gruendet-institut-fuer-mixed-leadership-16252570.html
- Frankfurter Wochenblatt, June 26, 2019: https://www.frankfurter-wochenblatt.de/frankfurt/frankfurter-wochenblatt-mitte/institut-gleichberechtigung-gegruendet-12693070.html
- Journal Frankfurt on the foundation of the Institute for Mixed Leadership, June 19, 2019: https://www.journal-frankfurt.de/journal_news/Campus-5/Institut-fuer-Mixed-Leadership-an-der-UAS-Frank-Dievernich-Die-Zukunft-ist-bunt-und-divers-34142.html
- idw - Informationsdienst Wissenschaft on the foundation of the Institute for Mixed Leadership, June 18, 2019: https://idw-online.de/de/news717685
- Press release of Frankfurt UAS on the foundation of the Institute for Mixed Leadership, June 18, 2019: https://www.frankfurt-university.de/de/aktuelles/pressemitteilungen/?tx_news_pi1%5Bnews%5D=2330&tx_news_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=News&tx_news_pi1%5Baction%5D=detail&cHash=78956cb661fe43db57079f951cdd066e
- Deputy Director of IML Prof. Yvonne Ziegler in the Frankfurter Neue Presse, April 6, 2019: https://www.fnp.de/wirtschaft/junge-zeitung-professorin-ziegler-ueber-bezahlung-beschaeftigungschancen-weiblicher-mitarbeiter-12143236.html