One semester abroad in Europe?
Are you interested in studying abroad in Europe? You will find all the information you need for a successful semester abroad here on this page. We will inform you about the Erasmus+ scheme, our 140 partner universities in Europe, the application steps, deadlines and much more.
INFORMATION ON COVID-19 AND BREXIT
After more than 30 years the United Kingdom is ending its participation in the European Erasmus program as part of the post-Brexit agreement of Dec. 24, 2020.
This means that with the funding call for the academic year 2021/22 with the new program generation of Erasmus+, mobilities to institutions in the UK will no longer be eligible.
Projects already in progress can still be terminated under the conditions applicable at the start of the project. In particular, this concerns mobilities for
- study purposes
- internship purposes
- teaching purposes
- further education purposes
of the currently running Erasmus 2020 project. Due to the Corona pandemic, the EU Commission has decided to extend its duration including March 31, 2023. Mobilities completed up to this date (incl. report and recognition of learning outcomes from abroad) can still be funded. The International Office has reserved Erasmus funds to support any activities.
As this extension is a special measure of the EU COM, the agreement of the receiving UK university is required for the implementation of the mobilities, as the associated Erasmus contracts expire at the end of the academic year 2021/22.
Applications to British partner universities for the winter semester 2022/23 are therefore made with reservations.
What is the current procedure for study-related stays abroad (compulsory modules, internships, etc., excursions)?
Due to the current worldwide travel warning, the university has stopped all international travel until further notice. Those university members who are currently still abroad for study reasons will be provided with the relevant information by the university.
A distinction is made between a travel warning from the German Foreign Office (AA) and advice from the AA.
Semester abroad in the summer semester 2021
(funded by ERASMUS+ and required by study regulations)
Mobility with travel warning:
- Mobilities are not financially supported. This is true for both Erasmus+ and for Promos. Mobilities can be funded from the time the travel warning for the respective country for the respective country has been lifted (as of 04.11. for Erasmus+; Promos is still unclear). The International Office is discontinuing financial support for the time being.
- The university advises against departures and asks students to not travel abroad due to the pandemic.
- Students are required to attend an online briefing in which they will be informed of the decision and alternatives.
- Students can participate online in the offer of the respective partner university.
Mobility in case of "advise off":
- If advice is given by the AA before departure and no travel warning (e.g., security reasons) is the mobility can be funded and carried out.
- A contract (Grant Agreement or similar) can be signed between the International Office and the student can be concluded.
- Risks and dangers will be explained in a separate safety briefing.
Students are asked to follow the events and developments in the planned host country and to inform the IO of any changes. Should the respective travel warning be lifted, mobility can take place and is encouraged. In case of upgrading from a travel advisory to a travel warning, the funding will no longer be granted. The IO obtains a monthly overview of the risk situation and remains in contact with students.
It is generally advised to cancel the semester abroad and to reapply for the coming winter semester.
The International Office accepts applications for study abroad in the winter semester 2021/22 and summer semester 2022 and processes them as usual!
In this application cycle, you can apply for a semester abroad in the summer semester 2023. We look forwards to receiving your application for an Erasmus+ semester abroad.
Please note that we can only offer remaining places in this passage and therefore not all places are available anymore.
Deadline for a semester abroad in summer 2023 (for all study fields):
30 June 2022
Please register in our application Portal Mobility Online
(it is best to use the Morzilla Firefox browser!)
A guide for your application to Mobility Online can be found here and a checklist oft he application documents to print can be found here.
For the application we need from you:
- 1 passport photo
- Copy of identity card (front and back) in a PDF file
- Copy of health insurance card (front and back) in a PDF file
- Certificate of enrollment (printed out at HIS)
- Letter of motivation (Guidance of LoM)
- Trancript of Records of the Frankfurt UAS (printed out at HIS)
If you are still in your first semester, upload you registration for the exams here.
- Language certificate in the language of instruction at the partner university. Contact person is the language center
- Course list
- Erasmus application form
You can download the form directly from the application portal
You sign the form yourself!
Please note that the server may be very busyon the day beforeand on the day of the deadline, as most applicants upload their documents on these days. We therefore recommend that you upload your documents as soon as possible!
What requirements do I need for an exchange with ERASMUS+?
General requirements for studying abroad
- You are enrolled for a full course of study at the Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences. At least: two successfully completed semester in the Bachelor’s program or the first semester in the Master‘s Program.
- Good academic performance, i. e. your average grade should not be less than 3
- Motivation and willingness to perform
- Adeqate knowledge of the language of instruction in the host country, i. e. a B2 level according to the European Framework of Reference is generally required for successful studies
When the demand for individual exchange places are greater than the respective contractually agreed exchange quota in the respective field of study, the place will be awarded after a perfomance ranking. This selection takes place at the respective departments and is carried out by the international representatives and, individual cases, by the head of the degree programs.
The following criteria are taken into account
- The letter of motivation: in the letter of motivation you explain, why you want to go to the chosen university. The letter is one oft he most important selection criteria, which is why we recommend that you take a close look at your partner university and the destination country
- Language skills: at least B2 in the language of instruction.
- CV: have you volunteered? Are you Buddy? Have you helped with volunteer projects? Have you completed a work and travel? What are your hobbies? Your resume says a lot about you. Create a detailed CV so that we can get an impression of you as a person.
- Grades: In rare cases, the grades and semesters are decisive.
Please note that the preparation of your application documents is also included in the ranking and that incomplete documents are not taken into account in the process.
We recommend joining our Moodle course „Preparation for Study Abroad.“
In our moodle course you will find the following information about stays abroad in Europe and overseas (you can download the complete documents as PDF):
Checklists for required application document
Guide to the letter of motivation
Information meetings for a semester abroad
Current dates and events
Information on semester times
and much more
Name of the Moodle course: „Preparation for Study Abroad“
You do not need a registration key; the room is free for everyone.