As a business informatics specialist, you bring together two worlds: You are an expert for digitization and software – as well as for business contexts. Thanks to you, companies are taking giant leaps forward, because you find solutions that are not only advantageous but also technically feasible. Our new degree program Business Information Systems (B.Sc.) prepares you for this task in a practical and future-oriented way.
With us, you can choose between three cutting-edge specializations – Business Analytics, Corporate Information Systems and Digital Management. After graduation, you can look forward to varied, well-paid jobs, for example as an IT consultant or as a software developer. Alternatively, you can take up one of our exciting master's degree programs.
About your studies
- Business Analytics: Huge amounts of data are collected in companies every day. Such data can be extremely valuable – and our major Business Analytics gives you the know-how you need to mine this treasure. You will acquire expertise in mathematical methods of information theory and data pre-processing and learn how to extract exactly the information needed for important business decisions from large amounts of data.
- Corporate Information Systems: Information systems in companies bring together three elements: People, technology, and the task the system is supposed to solve, such as the generation and communication of data. How can such systems be constructed efficiently? This question is the focus of our major Corporate Information Systems. Here, you will acquire knowledge about different architectures and learn how to select and design the best model for a specific operational application.
- Digital Management: Digitization may sound almost self-evident by now – but it is a topic that will fundamentally transform our everyday lives and companies in the future. Our major Digital Management prepares you to help shape this change: You will learn how to critically evaluate the potential benefits of technological innovations and how to assess the implementation of such innovations at management level. The focus is on aspects such as sustainability, design thinking, business/IT alignment and digital business model innovations.
Students may face many challenges. We know this, and we won't leave you to deal with them alone! Whether it's support with learning math, finding an internship, or writing your Bachelor thesis – we are there for you with our wide range of support services (website German only). We are also happy to advise you directly: Just contact our STEPS team.
Experts in Business Information Systems have excellent career prospects. After graduation, you can benefit from a direct start to your professional life with attractive starting salaries and development opportunities. Jobs are open to you in almost every conceivable area – for example with large industrial groups such as automobile manufacturers, with banks or insurance companies, communications companies or pharmaceutical companies, (IT) start-ups or government institutions. Your chosen major will also help you get started in specific fields.
Some examples of job profiles for business IT specialists: IT consultants advise companies on the design or realignment of IT systems. Business analysts take a close look at the economic situation of companies and develop implementable IT solutions that can improve business processes. As a software developer, on the other hand, you design and test new programs for use in operations. And as a controller, you plan, manage and review a company's accounting data in order to make the company more competitive.
As an alternative to starting your career directly, you can also choose to continue your academic education in the form of a master's degree, which qualifies you – among other things – for a doctorate. Two of our numerous master's programs are particularly suitable:
- Business Information Systems (M.Sc.): Our three-semester master's program Business Information Systems combines the two focal points of Data Science and Information Systems. Two extensive practical projects offer you the chance to work in a team on exciting challenges from business and science.
- Strategic Information Management (M.Sc.): In our master's program Strategic Information Management, also a three-semester course of stuy, the three subject areas of information management (with a focus on business analytics and data management), digitization, strategy and risk management, and organization and leadership come together.