In trend: scientific and legal knowledge at the largest employer of Germany
Did you know that the public service sector employs more than 4.5 million people and is therefore the largest employer of Germany? Modernization measures ensure that the public sector is increasingly viewed as a 'public service management' with clear goals that ensures the general well-being of the society with customer-orientation and economic contribution. In order to create a cost-effective, efficient and effective public sector, knowledge and management methods known from the private sector are applied. This is why the demand in business economists - who are also familiar with legal and economic aspects of the public service sector is this great.
Study the service to society. Optimize the use for the common good.
The public service industry and other non-profit organization provide a customer-oriented and economic contribution to ensure the common good with clear goals. We contribute with well-educated business economists who are familiar with the legal and economic particularities of the public and non-profit sector.
This degree course conveys the right know-how, particularly for controlling and organizational tasks under the aspect of efficiency and effectivity.
1st focus: Sustainable resource management
- Economic, technological and ecological framework conditions of the resource management in supply and waste management.
- Legal and political framework conditions of resource management in supply and waste management.
- Economic basics of sustainable social security systems.
- Sustainable personnel management.
- Natural resources and sustainable economic politics.
2nd focus: Finance management
- Accounting of the public service industry, its companies, foundations, and associations.
- Measurement of success and checking of success of fulfilling the tasks and in the non-profit area.
- Particularities of taxing the public services and non-profit tax law.
- Legal and economic framework conditions for public companies.
- Revision, accounting and audits.
- Alternative financing sources (sponsoring, fund raising, foundation, social franchising).
Context-wise unparalleled – close to practice
You require methodological and technical knowledge, expert skills and a high level of social competence in order to take on the management tasks in the public service sector responsibly. The degree course Public and Non-Profit Management guarantees you a high quality standard
- in the conveyance of theoretical principles,
- in the practical application of acquired competencies in the frame of interdisciplinary project work in heterogenic teams. This also includes the analysis and handling of complex questions from the practice.
Practical module included
A practical study semester in the public service sector or in non-profit organizations make the offer at our institution complete.
The Public Management degree course prepares students for professional roles in public administrations, NGOs, public and non-profit organizations, as well as service providers that have close ties to administrations (e.g. consulting and auditing firms) and require the application of managerial and economic knowledge. Job prospectives are among others in the following fields: organizations, human resources management and human resources, controlling and reporting, procurement and logistics, marketing, finance, and accounting, information and communication management and investment management.
The deadline for the submission of the application for the winter semester ends on July 15.
You must submit a separate, informal application if you would like to be considered for the random study place allocation. The application period starts two weeks prior to the beginning of the lecture period of the respective semester and ends on the day of the beginning of the lectures of the respective semester.
Access the academic calendar.
Interdisciplinary studies 'Interdisziplinäres Studium Generale'
In the frame of the General studies module ("Interdisziplinäres Studium Generale“, German only), which is aimed at promoting interdisciplinary thinking and cooperative actions, you will be exposed with students from other faculties and with topics such as social media or quality management.
Accreditation and graduation
- The degree course consists of 210 ECTS credits.
- Graduates of the bachelor's degree course Public and Non-Profit Management receive a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree.