Bioprocess engineering focuses on transformation: Bioprocess engineering processes turn milk into yogurt, wastewater into fresh water, and microalgae into biofuels. Bioprocess engineers are therefore in demand in a wide variety of areas – they are responsible for processes and plants, for example, in the food and healthcare industry, environmental technology or energy production.
Today, more than ever, it is also a question of how we use our planet's resources sensibly. Bioprocess engineering experts are working to make the manufacture of products more sustainable and also to make clever use of byproducts. Sounds like an exciting field of work for you? Our bachelor's degree program in bioprocess engineering prepares you intensively for all these challenges.
This degree program suits you if ...
- you are interested in natural sciences and technology,
- you appreciate interdisciplinary, creative teamwork,
- you see your professional future in areas such as nutrition, environment, energy production or health,
- you have a desire to work in an interface discipline between biology, chemistry, process engineering and general engineering sciences
- and you are interested in working in an international environment.
For Students of Bioprocess Engineering
Pre-courses (German only)
Application and enrollment
Downloads (German only)
7 terms, full-time
This degree course was accredited by ASIIN e. V. until September 30, 2023.
It was additionally accredited byENAEE als EUR-ACE Bachelor
About your studies
- The seven-semester full-time degree program comprises 32 modules – each of which requires an examination.
- In the first semesters, you will acquire and deepen basic knowledge of natural sciences and engineering, while in the second half of your studies you will deal intensively with (bio)process engineering.
- In a two-semester module at the beginning of your studies, you will learn and consolidate your skills in technical English. Thus, you will be prepared for the fourth semester, in which we conduct all courses entirely in English. In addition, English-language lectures are regularly offered by faculty from our international partner universities. If you wish, you can spend a semester abroad, benefiting from our worldwide network.
- Get prepared for professional life: You will gain valuable practical experience during your study-related work placement in the second half of the sixth semester and the first half of the seventh semester.
- The second half of the seventh semester is dedicated to your Bachelor's thesis, with which you will successfully complete your studies.
Theoretical expertise is important – but it is just as important to be able to apply this knowledge practically. That is why we attach great importance to the fact that our students do not only learn scientific methods in the lecture hall, but also in our laboratories.
During your studies, you will deepen and expand knowledge gained from lectures in laboratory projects and group exercises: For example, you might separate and analyze samples of a beach polluted with plastic waste or work out a process to produce biodiesel from algae. But even brewing beer is nothing more than a bioprocess!
As part of the practical tasks, you will gather experience of working in a team and practice critically questioning experimental results as well as presenting them. During your laboratory work, you will also become familiar with working methods used in industrial practice and your will learn to work on tasks independently.
An important part of your studies takes place in these laboratories:
- Labor für Mikrobiologie und Bioverfahrenstechnik (German only)
- Labor für Chemie/Physikalische Chemie (German only)
- Verfahrenstechnisches Technikum (German only)
Do you have questions or are you unsure whether this degree program is the one for you? Get in touch with the head of degree course, Prof. Dr. Heike Holthues. She will be happy to advise you.
After your bachelor's degree, you will have a broad, interdisciplinary knowledge and will thus be ideally prepared for highly qualified jobs in development, production and sales – and in a wide variety of sectors: Whether chemical or biotechnological industry, process engineering, food industry, pharmaceutical and cosmetics industry, environmental technology and energy generation or companies in apparatus and plant engineering – the career prospects for you are excellent. Specialists in bioprocess engineering are highly sought after on the job market and can expect attractive starting salaries. Alternatively, you can of course deepen your studies by taking up a master's program at home or abroad.
In cooperation with RheinMain University of Applied Sciences, we offer the German-language master's degree program Biotechnology and Environmental Engineering. The focus at our university is on the following main topics:
- Bioreaction technology,
- genetic engineering,
- recent developments in medicine,
- large-scale production of antibiotics and special methods in downstream processing,
- renewable energies and renewable raw materials.
Admission and enrollment
Students with a German university entrance qualification:
- Application deadline for the winter semester: September 30
- Application via our Student Support and Services department (StuPort)
Students with an international university entrance qualification:
- Application deadline for the winter semester: September 1
- Application via the platform uni-assist
There are no admission restrictions for this program. Consequently, you do not need to apply, but can enroll directly.
- Due to the English-language teaching components, English language skills at level B1 are important for studying successfully. Our university provides a wide range of compact and study-accompanying English courses through the Language Center, which enable students to close any individual knowledge gaps on their own.
- You should also have a good knowledge of maths and physics to ensure that you can keep pace with your studies. In our preliminary courses (German only) before the start of the semester, you can refresh your knowledge.